Updates From The Director of Pedagogical Affairs
August 27, 2019
Welcome Back Message
Welcome back to an exciting and new school year.
A few things to remember at the start of the new year.
- If you wish to be a cooperating teacher, you need to fill out the form recently sent to you by email and follow the process written on the form.. Respect the deadlines indicated.
- PIC requests are to be done online following the this link:https://www.swlsb.ca/pic . Applications must be done at least 3 weeks prior to the workshop. If you are signing up for a workshop through FORTIC and you need PIC funds, you need to apply to PIC directly. The reimbursement amount is set at 1300$ for this school year.
May 30, 2019
PIC update and other news
Director of Pedagogical Affairs
Annual General Meeting Report 2018-2019
I would like to thank all of you who came out today to voice your opinions and learn more of what your dues are doing for you.
I am available to advise members via emails or phone calls regarding the following dossiers:
- Subject-Time Allocations / School Organization
- Evaluation / Reporting
- I.E.P.s / Special Needs Students / Weighted Values
- Elementary Remedial and HS Supporting Teachers
- S.L.S.N.C. / AdHoc Meetings
- Educational Project / Standards and Procedure Documents
- Multi-Grade Allocations
- Student Teachers (Teacher training)
- Professional Development
- Educational Policies
The Board took their time naming the members for their side of the committees and for that reason they were slow to start. I do not foresee that happening again next year. Once formed the committees did their jobs representing the teachers in the functions mandated.
Over the course of the year I learned a new skill for the upkeep and simple programming needed for our new website. Issues and recommendations can be e-mailed to me.
I will continue to monitor the School Board’s application of the Education Act, the BSR, and the Provincial/Local Collective Agreements in relation to Pedagogical Affairs.
Highlights of the last 6 months…
- The Professional Improvement Committee worked and agreed to add a section of the northeastern part of the United States to be included in the possible yearly destinations.
- Continued to raise concerns regarding the end-of-year examinations, the marking centers, and the lack of release time for correcting. Pushed for the BSR to be respected regarding mandated exams.
- The Parity members continued to work together to distribute the available resources for students with special needs (resource teacher, attendant, and special ed. tech allocations).
- The Educational Policy Committee has worked on the Secondary Program of Studies and the new 240 school is being discussed.
I am responsible for the following committees
A big thank you to the wonderful teachers that participate in the committees!
Educational Policies Committee: Karen Ferri, Brian Benoit,
Professional Improvement Committee: Maria Alfieri, Gabriel Lanno, Rhonda Steiner, Cassandra Dubois
Teacher Training Committee: Sheryl Cree, Kelly Krowdis and Lise Valentin
Special Education Advisory Committee: Brian Benoit, James Gore
Parity Committee: Diana Antonacci, Frank De Luca, Brian Benoit
Alternate – Hugh Cooke
A special thank you to the school delegates and sector directors!
I would also like to thank the people at the office!
Loretta Gifuni(Our new voice in the office), Stephan Ethier, and Stephanie McLellan (The Boss)
Have a great summer and see you next year.
March 29, 2019
PIC update and other news
PIC: A new region has been added to the yearly sector of Canada. This region extends west to Chicago and arcs down towards the eastern seaboard reaching past New Jersey. When applying for PIC please read the agreement and call if you have any questions.
Important: Teachers are reminded that applications must be made 3 weeks prior to a workshop. It is also important to apply when you are registering to board workshops. Releases for these are paid through PIC.
QPAT will be launching a their survey on special needs on April 15 for the youth sector. Please take the time to fill it in.
November 20, 2018
Cooperating Teacher Workshop
Cooperating teachers who had a student teacher during the 2017-2018 school year, your allocations will be paid on the final pay in December. All forms must have been filled out to receive your compensation.
High School January exams: Some students may be writing supplemental exams in the month of January. The exams are administered from January 11th to the 18th.
I.E.P. monies have been distributed to the schools. I will be sending the amount received by the school to the delegate and the Chair of TC, in the following week.
October 10, 2018
Cooperating Teacher Workshop
- For all teachers who would like to have a student teacher in the next few years, sign up for the Megan Webster PD for cooperating teachers. This workshop gives a great overview of the work that is done to train our future teachers.
September 28, 2018
Things to remember:
- Apply online for PIC at least 3 three weeks prior to the workshop
- If you wish to have a student teacher, fill out the request form and follow the instructions on the form.https://www.ltu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/application-english-2018.doc.pdf
- Coming soon to all school delegates and TC chairs, the measures for your schools
- Sign up for the Megan Webster PD for cooperating teachers.